Playa la Caletilla
** Playa la Caletilla - Nerja, Spain
Playa la Caletilla! ➜ A Small Cove, Perfect for Families!
Located in front of the 4-Star Hotel Balcón de Europa , Playa la Caletilla was thought by many to be private. But on the contrary, this lovely little cove, nestled within the cliffs and rocky shoreline, is available to all... and is perfect for families with small children.
Playa la Caletilla sits just below and to the west of the famous Balcón de Europa and it enjoys staggering views of the historic balcony, the flower-covered cliffs below it, and the bright blue sea that stretches out into the horizon.
The beach itself is rather narrow, especially when the tides come in... on some days it might disappear completely. But on most days, you can happily enjoy it's calm, smooth shoreline. On the western end of Playa la Caletilla, you will find interesting rock formations and an old stone archway that are perfect for exploring.
Contents on This Page
** Playa la Caletilla - Hotel Balcón de Europa
Playa la Caletilla is very easily accessed as the city of Nerja has built a wonderful promenade that runs the length of this 50-meter-long sandy beach. You can walk from either Playa Calahonda to the east or Playa el Salón to the west.
If you are thinking of spending your next holiday in Nerja, keep reading to find out why Playa la Caletilla might be the best beach for you and your family!
** Playa la Caletilla, Nerja - Low Season
Why Visit Playa la Caletilla?Visit Playa la Caletilla if you want a quiet cove, with soft sand and a gentle surf that is perfect for small children. The wonderful Hotel Balcón de Europa () sits right on the beach making this a perfect choice for families. It's also within the Nerja old town with access to restaurants, tapas-bars, and shopping.
How to Arrive ➜From Granada - Drive south on A-44. Take exit 183 to merge onto E-15 / A-7 towards Salobreña / Málaga. Take exit 295 (Nerja) from the A-7.
➜ Continue to the roundabout and take the N-340 (first exit) towards Nerja. Drive straight until you reach town and find one of the parking areas below. Playa la Caletilla can be accessed on foot from the Balcón de Europa.
From Malaga - Follow A-7 going east. Take exit 295 (Nerja) from A-7. Then follow directions above.
From the Center of Nerja - Make your way walking towards the Balcón de Europa. From there you will be able to access this beach on foot.
Parking ➜For parking in town and access to Playa la Caletilla these are the two closest parking areas.
- Parking Balcón de Europa - this parking area is a three-story underground structure. It sits just below the Ayuntamiento (town hall), tourist office, and Nerja Museum.
- Parking Carabeo - This is a large open, dirt parking lot. It sits just behind the Nerja old town where you will have access to many restaurants and the shopping district.
** Playa la Caletilla Promenade, Statue of Chanquete, & Rocks
Access to the Beach ➜Playa la Caletilla can only be accessed on foot in one of three ways:
- From the Balcón de Europa - Make your way to the Balcón de Europa in the center of Nerja. While you are there you will see the
'Boquete de Calahonda', a white structure with many arches, covered in colorful pots of Geraniums.
Walk down the stairs behind the structure and you will see Playa Calahonda on your left. Continue walking on the seafront promenade around the Balcón de Europa. On the other side of the Balcon you will see some stairs leading down to Playa la Caletilla. Enjoy!
- From Playa el Salón - A new section of the seafront promenade has finally been finished and it connects the two beaches of Playa la Caletilla and
Playa el Salón. From Playa el Salón, walk to the top of the entrance ramp and you will see a small
mirador with wooden railings. On the far side of the mirador
you will find some stairs that will take you down and across Playa la Caletilla. It's a beautiful walk with magnificent views.
- From the Hotel Balcón de Europa - If you're lucky enough to stay in the
Hotel Balcón de Europa just walk straight out onto the beach!
Facilities on Playa la Caletilla:If you are staying in the hotel, you will have many more services available but Playa la Caletilla is open to the public. Services on this beach include:
- Sun Bed and Umbrella Rentals
- Hotel Restaurant
- Seaside Promenade
Beach Info ➜
|Type:||Family Beach / Urban Area|
|Width:||15-30 meters (depending on the tide)|
|Level of occupancy:||Medium|
|Sand Type:||Light Sand|
|Access||Seaside Promenade & Hotel|
|Ease of Access||Easy|
- Playa Calahonda
- Playa Burriana
- Playa Carabeillo
- Playa Carabeo
- Playa Chorrillo
- Playa el Salón
- Playa Torrecilla
- Playa el Chucho
- Playa el Playazo
** Playa la Caletilla - Enjoying the Beach
Playa la Caletilla ➜ Where to StayThe best place to stay in order to enjoy Playa la Caletilla is the Hotel Balcón de Europa, however there are several hotels along the Balcón de Europa as well as apartments and low-cost hostels.
Hotels & Apartments ➜
Apartamentos Toboso Plaza
Hotel Plaza Cavana -
Hotel Puerta del Mar -
Summer Villas for Rent ➜
Playa la Caletilla ➜ Where to EatMake you way up to the Balcón de Europa, there are a ton of good places to eat near Playa la Caletilla... The easiest choice may be to eat in the Hotel Balcón de Europa Restaurant (Restaurante El Nautico), right on the beach.
- Albi - A quick restaurant with burgers and sandwiches. They also have the best ice cream in Nerja.
- La Fuente da Paolo - Travelers' Choice! Italian pizza and pasta.
- Puerta del Mar - Seafood restaurant overlooking the Balcon and Playa Calahonda below.
- ➜ The BEST 20 Nerja Restaurants
Playa la Caletilla ➜ Water Sports / ExcursionsThere are no water sports available on Playa la Caletilla.
Playa Burriana, on the other hand, is a very popular spot in Nerja for kayaking and water sports... due to its proximity to the Maro Nature Reserve and Waterfalls. If you are interested in kayaking excursions to the waterfalls, paddle board, boat rental, or scuba diving... read these guides...
- Read more about the kayaking excursions here: Kayaking in Nerja.
- Scuba Diving in La Herradura - 15-minutes from Nerja and known as the best spot for scuba in mainland Spain.
- Renting Boats & Jet Skis from the Marina in La Herradura
** Playa la Caletilla - Views of the Balcon & Umbrellas
Playa la Caletilla ➜ Map
- The Nerja Caves
- Tour Packages
- Opening Hours
- The Nerja Museum
- The Nerja Tourist Train
- Tours to Nerja & the Nerja Caves
- Nerja's Top Sites
- Balcón de Europa
- Eagle Aqueduct
- The Ermita de las Angustias
- The Church of El Salvador
- Top Things to Do
- Visit the Nerja Markets
- Day Trips to Nerja
- Excursions From Nerja
- Costa del Sol Sailing Tours