Kayaking and Other Water Sports
After its natural beauty and remarkable landscape, the Costa Tropical is probably best known for its abundance of available water sports. On any given day you will find swarms of windsurfers, wakeboarders, kayakers, and paddleboarders exploring the bay; their multi-colored sails and boards glistening in the sun.
Small watercraft, such as surfboards, kayaks, and stand-up paddleboards are available for rent daily on the beach.
Where are the Best Spots for Water Sports?The area around La Herradura, Almunecar, and Nerja is the perfect place for a sporting holiday... and water sports are the favorite.
Some of the best beaches in Almunecar for these activities are Playa Cabria, Playa Veintiuna (on the western end of Playa San Cristobal) and Playa del Barranco Enmedio, found at the very far end of Almunecar, to the east, after Playa Curumbico.
Nerja also has two very sporty beaches, Playa del Playazo and Playa Burriana. Playa Burriana is the favorite with kayak and paddleboard tours leaving hourly for the Maro Cerro Gordo Nature Park to see its beautiful waterfall.
Two Kayaking Excursions We Recommend:
** Kayaking around the Cerro Gordo Caves
Which Water Sports are Available?During the summer months, the sea is filled with eager sports enthusiasts... Some of the water sports you can try while you're here are:
Windsurfing, kayaking, stand-up paddleboard, aquatic cycling, water skiing, wakeboarding, snorkeling, and scuba diving...
Available Services?Many companies cater to specific sports... or all of them. Water sports equipment and small crafts like paddleboards and kayaks can be rented on many of the local beaches or you can join a group and be shown the best sites.
- Water Sports Rentals - Numerous companies along the beach rent out equipment by the day or hour, depending on the sport. You can usually rent for 1-hour, 2-hours, 1/2 day, or a full day.
- Excursions / Guided Tours - If you've never been to the Costa Tropical, this is probably your best option, and it's definitely the most popular. Guided tours leave hourly from Playa La Herradura to Punta de la Mona and Cerro Gordo to see the caves and grottos, the gorgeous Maro beaches, or to the Maro waterfall... if you can make it that far... stops for snorkeling and snacks are common depending on the time.
- Classes - Another fun thing to do is take one of the classes offered along the beach. If you've never done any of these activities before, personalized instruction is available. You can take courses on sailing with a catamaran, windsurfing, paddleboard yoga, and more...
** Paddle Board & Kayaking are popular in La Herradura
The TOP Water Sports CompaniesAll of the companies below offer rentals of water sports equipment and most offer classes and personalized excursions and tours.
Most of these companies also offer a range of other adventure sports activities, like hiking, canyoning, 4x4 excursions, etc., so we have noted that where applicable.
1. Activ8You!As an expert provider of outdoor and adventure sports and a TripAdvisor's "Traveller's Choice", Activ8You offers fun-filled, safe activities for all ages, including kayak rentals and excursions, snorkeling equipment, padel boards, and more.
- Kayaking & Snorkeling Tour - Activ8You! ➜ Top La Herradura Adventure Co -
Address: Pª Marítimo Andrés Segovia 61, Caseta en la Playa, 18697 La Herradura
Phone: +34 678 846 995
Additional Services: Canyoning & Coasteering, Hiking Excursions, Summer Kids Camp
2. Windsurf La HerraduraOperating in La Herradura since 1979, Windsurf La Herradura has two locations, one on La Herradura beach and the other in the Marina del Este. They offer water sports equipment rental and classes on sailing, windsurfing, and paddleboard yoga.
Kayaking excursions are also available around the Cerro Gordo point.
Address 1: Paseo Marítimo nº34, La Herradura, Granada, Spain
Address 2: Av. Marina del Este, 18697 La Herradura, Granada
Phone: +34 958 640 143 / 958 330 717
School: +34 675 982 324
|1 Hr||2 Hrs||10 Hrs||1/2 Day||Day|
|Kayak - solo||€7||-||€55||€20||€35|
|Kayak - doble||€12||-||€95||€40||€60|
|Courses (5 Hours)|
3. Educare AventuraEducare Aventura is a tourism company operating in Nerja since 2000. They offer the following tours:
Kayaking along the Nerja and Maro cliffs, Paddle Surfing along the Nerja and Maro cliffs, 4x4 routes along the Sierra Almijara National Park, Mountain biking through the Montes de Málaga National Park, Trekking El Torcal, Horseback riding in the Montes de Málaga, and Canyoning descent in the Rio Verde Ravine (Otivar-Granada).
- Kayak Tour to Maro Waterfall - Educare Aventura ➜ Top Nerja Adventure Co -
- Paddle Surf Route - Nerja Cliffs and Maro Waterfall + Snorkel - Educare Aventura ➜
Address: Camino de Burriana, Local 2, Fase 2, Playa de Burriana, Nerja, Malaga
Phone: +34 676 685 827 / 600 620 054
Reservations: +34 952 039 026
Additional Services: Canyoning, Hiking, Mountain Biking, Horseback Riding, 4x4 Routes
4. Nimo Aventura
Phone: +34 601 631 833
Additional Services: Kayak, Barranco (Cliff Jumping), Parapente, Paintball, Scooter Rentals, and Hiking
5. Open Water Scuba
Address: Paseo Andrés Segovia, s/n, La Herradura (Granada)
Phone: +34 644 444 314 – 958 640 092
Additional Services: Scuba Diving, Baptism, and PADI Certifications
6. Marengo La Herradura
Address: Paseo Andrés Segovia, 18690 La Herradura, Granada
Phone: +34 658 964 357
Contact Form: https://marengolaherradura.es/contacto/
Address: Paseo Andres Segovia 44 18697 La Herradura, Granada
Phone: +34 657 730 030
Contact Form: https://www.marae.eu/contacto-marae/
8. Totally Sorted Sports
Address: Paseo Andres Segovia 44 18697 La Herradura, Granada
Phone: +34 958 883 143 / 627 713 897
Contact Form: https://www.totallysortedsports.co.uk/contact-us/
Additional Services: Canyoning, Hiking, Almunecar Tour, Buggy Safari, Catamaran, Horseback Riding, and Skiing in the Sierra Nevada
9. Wailele Adventure & Sports - Nerja
Address: Playa de Maro, Nerja, Malaga
Phone: +34 644569199
Additional Services: Outdoor activities in nature at the hand of the best specialists. Kayak, Paddle Surf, Step Surf, and Tours.