Marina del Este
A Gorgeous Marina in Southern Spain...
Contents on This Page
Where is Marina del Este?
The Marina del Este (or 'Puerto Deportivo Marina del Este' in Spanish) is located between the two most beautiful Andalucian villages on the Granada coast, La Herradura and Almuñécar. It is one of the few marinas in southern Spain.
The marina itself was built around a large rock known as the Peñón de las Caballas (or Mackerel Rock) and its promenade. It's a small, quiet marina tucked behind the well-known Punta de la Mona point, which protects it from strong winds from the west and provides beautiful views of Almuñécar to the east. It's a great place to stop off for a rest if you’re sailing.
Marina del Este Highlights:
- Located at the Border of the Granada and Malaga Provinces
- Borders the Costa del Sol
- Features many hidden coves & caves that are perfect for sailing and diving
- Just minutes for the Maro Cerro Gordo Nature Reserve - UNESCO Protected Site
- Waterfront Restaurants / Bars
- Magnificent beaches, the closest is Playa Berengueles.... and the Playa Cantarriján (nudist beach, famous for its beauty) just down the coast
- It's a very popular area for holiday rentals during the summer months
Basic Marina Information
The Marina del Este is a luxury complex and the prices reflect that. If you are looking for a place to moor your boat, the prices are a bit higher than some Spanish ports but not as expensive as ports in the Costa del Sol.
- There is availability for 227 boats and yachts
- Maximum length - 35 meters
- And, a boathouse dedicated to the repair of all boats in the area
Address: Puerto Deportivo Marina del Este, s/n, 18697 La Herradura, Granada, Spain
Phone: +34 958 640 801 / +34 958 827 240
Latitude: 36º 44′ N
Longitude: 003º 43′ W
Radio Channels: VHF CH9 - 16
Another, less-expensive alternative for boat mooring is the Motril Marina which is only a thirty-minute drive to the east.
Facilities - What's Available...
The Marina del Este is a small port, but it has everything you need available to moor your boat safely, manage its care... AND, to enjoy a nice relaxing holiday.
Services you will find in the Marina are:
- Boat Services - Mooring, Management & Repair
- Art Galleries, Boutique Shops, and Food Markets
- Water-Front Restaurants & Bars
- Laundry Services
- Diving Center & School
- Boat Rentals & Excursions
- Apartment and Villa Rentals
- Beautiful Beach - Playa Berengueles with a Restaurant and Bar
- Watersports Services Providing Beach-Side Rentals (Kayaking, Windsurf, Paddle Board, etc.)
Where to Stay in Marina del Este?
Many holiday-goers choose to stay in the Marina while on vacation because of its luxury feel, the abundant services available, and the gorgeous sea views in every direction.
If you are looking for accommodations near the marina keep reading...
The Hotel Best Alcazar - Marina del Este
The BEST hotel located near the Marina del Este is the 4-star Best Alcazar ...
The Best Alcazar is a mid-level, family-oriented hotel located in the Punta de la Mona area of La Herradura which is about a 15-minute walk to the beach. Shuttles are available throughout the day going back and forth to town and the beaches.
- Two Large Pools
- Bowling Alley
- Tennis Courts
- Parking (additional cost)
- Spa / Turkish Baths
- Shuttle Service to Beaches
- Small Shop
Remember: Book Early! These hotels fill up fast and you don't want to miss out!!
Also: Check out the hotels in these near-by Costa Tropical towns...
- Best La Herradura Hotels
- Best Almuñécar Hotels
- Best Costa Tropical Hotels by Town - Top Two or Three
TOP Villa Rentals - Marina del Este
Another great option for staying near the Marina del Este is to rent one of the many available villas and apartments overlooking the Marina.
You can find beach-front condos, villas a bit higher up with spectacular views (still within walking distance to the beach), and other larger villas with private pools in the Punta de la Mona neighborhood surrounding the marina.
For holiday rentals in Spain, the absolute BEST site is HomeAway.com. They have THE largest number of properties available (they are part of the vrbo.com family).
Check out ALL the Condos and Villas in the Marina del Este and Punta de la Mona neighborhoods... HERE
Here are a few of our recommendations...
There are several nearby beaches but the closest is Playa Berengueles. It's just to the right before turning into the marina. It has gorgeous views to the east of the spectacular Almuñécar Peñon and the Almuñécar beaches.
- Playa Berengueles is equipped with all your beach-day needs:
- Water Sports Rentals
- Restaurant / Bar - Marina Playa Beach Club - +34 958 82 75 25
- Diving school (in the marina)
- AND it's one of the BEST diving locations in southern Spain
- Beautiful stone pathway for a nice stroll over to the marina...
Renting Boats or Yachts in the Marina del Este
If you're interested in chartering a boat around the Costa Tropical, the marina is the best place to look.
Several companies offer boating excursions around the Cerro Gordo National park and the hidden coves and caves going west down the coast.
There are also sailboats, yachts and smaller boats available for a private rental, either by day or longer.
Jet skis are also available for rent in the marina, which can be taken into the La Herradura bay.
We recommend the following services for boat rentals and excursions...
Rent a sailboat in the Marina del Este with captain...
Rent a motorboat in the Marina del Este and explore the coast on your own.
A lot of people book online. We recommend booking ahead if you can because kayaks & jets skis are limited.
Diving Clubs in the Marina
If you are looking for scuba diving options, there is a diving center/school right in the Marina del Este that dives at the nearby Playa Berengueles. They will provide you with all the equipment you need for a day of diving plus transportation to the best dive sites.
If you are new to diving, they can also help get you certified with a diving course that is personalized to your needs.
Address: Avenida Marina del Este S/N, 18697 La Herradura, Almuñécar Spain
Phone: +34 958 82 70 83
Restaurants in the Marina
One of the nicest things about this marina is the atmosphere...
It's peaceful and beautiful with clear views of neighboring Almuñécar. This is the perfect place to take a leisurely stroll, grab a drink with friends, or enjoy a good meal on the water.
The restaurants and bars in the marina all have outdoor seating and the quality is very good.
- Altamar Pizzeria-Restaurante: +34 696 960 723
- Salazón Mediterranean: +34 670 026 190
- La Jacaranda: +34 680 568 132
- Atraque 7: +34 670 02 61 90
- Marina Playa Beach Club (Playa Berengueles): www.marinaplayabeachclub.com - 958 82 75 25
The marina is not directly off the highway so it’s a bit tricky to find. Coming from La Herradura heading towards Almuñécar on the N-340, take a right just before the tunnel into the Punta de la Mona urbanization. There should be a sign that says, 'Puerto Deportivo Marina del Este'.
Vere to your right when you see the large black and red statue. Continue winding around until you get to a stop, take a left. The Hotel Best Alcazar will be on your left... Drive past the hotel and continue down the hill and to the right... all the way to the bottom.
Marina del Este on the Map