Scuba Diving in La Herradura
The seabed around La Herradura is so special that it has been awarded prizes in national underwater photography competitions and declared as a protected national park that is home to amazing species not found anywhere else in Spain.
Scuba Diving in the Beautiful Bay of La Herradura
Almuñécar (and La Herradura specifically) has become a real focal point nationally and internationally in recent years for those interested in Diving.
The area around La Herradura is known for its spectacular beauty; the cliffs, the nature reserves found around Maro and Cerro Gordo, the unique landscape where the natural park of Sierra de la Almijara meets the sea. These are all visually stunning, but what many people don’t realize is that what lies beneath the sea, is equally as stunning.
Three diving courses in La Herradura that we recommend are:
- Open Water Dive Course - ScubaSur Diving ➜ Top Almuñécar Dive Center
- Baptism / Try-a-Dive with ScubaSur ➜ €60.00
- Open Water Dive Course - WikiSub Diving ➜ Cheapest OWD course in La Herradura (€302.57)
** Many dives start from Marina del Este & Playa Berengueles
The Top 3 Diving Sites in La HerraduraUnder the La Herradura bay and around its two points, you will discover mysterious underwater caves and grottos that are home to species not usually found at such shallow depths. These very rare and colorful plants and animals are a true sight to be seen...
Some of the best known diving spots in La Herradura are located in three different zones and are frequented by all the main diving centers:
- Paraje Natural Cerro Gordo (The Nature Park Along the Maro & Cerro Gordo Cliffs)
Dive Sites Include: Cuevas de Cantarrijan (The Caves around Playa Cantarrijan), La Huerta (the Garden), Pared Cueva de las Palomas (Cave Wall in Las Palomas), Los Molinos (the Mills), El Cañuelo, and Playa Calaiza (a small beach and cove on the western arm of La Herradura)
- La Herradura / Punta de la Mona
Dive Sites Include: Piedra del Hombre, La Calita, Piedras Altas, and the Cueva Jarro.
- Marina del Este
Dive Sites Include: Los Corales (Punta de la Mona), La Pared, Piedra de la Higuera (Los Coches), Cueva del Roqueo de los 14, and Los Berengueles (the cove around Playa Berengueles).
** Dive Sites: Punta de la Mona & Cerro gordo
Scuba Diving in La Herradura - What's on Offer?Not surprisingly, due to year-round good weather, gorgeous underwater scenery, and the bay's protected waters many scuba diving companies operate in La Herradura all year. Courses are offered for all skill levels and PADI diving certificates can also be obtained.
These companies will train you, certify you, provide you with the necessary equipment, and then take you to the best known diving spots in the area.
The top three services available are:
- Baptism (also called Try-a-Dive) - Not yet prepared to make the leap to a certified course... the Try-a-Dive will allow you to try scuba diving to see if you like it. A Baptism is designed for someone with no previous diving experience, where they can dive for the first time, accompanied by an instructor.
You will receive a theoretical explanation of about 15-20 minutes on the basics of scuba diving, followed by a dive into the sea at a depth of no greater than 10 meters. It includes a full equipment rental and no certification is needed.
- PADI Certification - Interested in furthering your scuba diving skills? Then the PADI certification might be for you. There are many different skill levels to attain, each with its own requirements and skillsets. Specialty classes are also available at most dive centers.
Skill levels include: Scuba Diver, Open Water Diver, Advanced Open Water Diver, Rescue Diver, and Divemaster or Master Scuba Diver. (explanations below)
- Immersion - An immersion is just another name for a dive that can be booked alone or in packages. Most centers offer packages to certified divers which include equipment rental, transfer to the dive site, etc in groups of x5 or x10 dives.
** Scuba Diving in La Herradura
Scuba Diving - La Herradura - The PADI CertificationsAll diving certification courses are certified by PADI (the Professional Association of Diving Instructors). The following are the levels that can be attained in La Herradura and what each level allows you to do:
- Scuba Diver - Max depth 12 meters – An easy certification if you have just a little time and want to experience the world of diving. You will always need to have an instructor with you on future dives. Includes theory classes and two dives in the sea.
- Open Water Diver - If you have a little more time you can accomplish the next skill level that will allow you to dive anywhere in the world without a guide. It usually takes 3-4 days to achieve with a total of 5 theory classes, 5 confined water classes, and 4 open water dives.
- Advanced Open Water Diver - Want to take diving a little further? To try for this certification you must already have your Open Water Diver Certification and 12 dives. It should take an additional 2-3 days with two required courses (Deep Diving and Underwater Navigation) and three specialty courses from the choices below.
- Rescue Diver - Available to everyone, this course is a safety course and meant to teach the diver how to respond to different situations, from a diver in distress to the search and recovery of a missing diver.
- Divemaster or Master Scuba Diver - You’re on your way to becoming a professional! With the Divemaster certification, you can now supervise dives and work with student divers.
- Specialty Master Classes - night dives, underwater scooter, buoyancy, search and recovery, multi-level, underwater naturalist, underwater photography, and more.
|Bap||.5||0/2||None||€60 - €75|
|SD||2||3/2||None||€100 - €280|
|OWD||3-4||5/4||SD Cert||€320 - €390|
|AOWD||2||0/5||OWD Cert||€295 - €325|
|RD||3||0/6||None||€250 - €370|
|MD||28||0/30||AOWD Cert||€600 +|
- Baptism (Bap), Scuba Diver (SD), Open Water Diver (OWD), Advanced Open Water Diver (AOWD), Rescue Diver (RD), and Divemaster or Master Scuba Diver (MD).
- Prices reflect the lowest and highest listed prices from all the diving companies operating in the Almuñécar / La Herradura area.
- *Dives (CONF / OW) - Confined water dives (in a swimming pool for example) vs dives at sea.
The TOP 8 Local Diving CentersThese dive centers operate out of La Herradura, Almunecar, and Nerja and all do dives along the spectacular coastal areas of the Costa Tropical.
1. ScubaSur One of Almuñécar's top diving centers offering all PADI certification courses listed above plus a large number of specialty courses. They will provide you with diving equipment, instructional material, transportation by boat and minibus to all the best Almuñécar / La Herradura dive sites, and a course certificate upon completion.
Address: Paseo China Gorda, 5 Edeficio Delfin 18690, Almuñécar Granada España
Phone: +34 958 634 512 / WhatsApp 680 396 993
|€100 / €60 discount||€260||€390||€295||€295||€600|
2. Buceo La Herradura Operating for 20 years in La Herradura they offer Baptisms (Try-a-Dive) and full PADI certification. Buceo La Herradura has two locations, one in Marina del Este and the other beachfront along Playa La Herradura.
This dive center is equipped with two boats that leave directly from the marina, a dive pool in La Herradura for contained dives, and 6 available classes at various levels, from beginner to professional diver.
Address: Avenida Marina del Este S/N, 18697 La Herradura, Almuñécar Spain
Phone: +34 958 82 70 83
|Boat + Air:||€30|
|Boat + Bottle + Air:||€33|
|Boat + Full Equipment:||€48|
|Boat + Full Equipment (X5):||€216|
|Boat + Full Equipment (X10):||€408|
3. Wikisub Buceo - La Herradura Wikisub Buceo is run by Juan Carlos Reyes, a diver since 2004. He has been a certified Open Water Instructor since 2018 and has extensive experience with sports training. His love for teaching made him take the leap to PADI instructor / Scuba Master and he pours all his best experience into his students.
Not only does Wikisub operate in the Almuñécar / La Herradura area, but they also arrange dives in Malaga, Cabo de Gata (Almeria), Cadiz / Tarifa, and Calahonda.
Address: Ensenada de los Berengueles S.N Marina del Este. Playa, 18690, Granada
Phone: +34 610 82 47 76
4. Open Water La Herradura Open Water La Herradura is located in the middle of La Herradura along the beach where they have classrooms available for theory classes. They also have 3 large zodiac boats that leave from the beach, transporting divers to 16 different dive sites.
Several packages are available for immersion and PADI certification as well as snorkel, paddle surf, kayak, and canoe. Many of their packages also include night diving.
Address: Paseo Andrés Segovia, s/n, La Herradura (Granada)
Phone: +34 644 444 314 – 958 640 092
|Boat + Bottle + Air:||€29|
|Boat + Bottle + Air + Heavy Equipment:||€39|
|Boat + Bottle + Air + Complete Equipment:||€45|
|Boat + Bottle + Air + Heavy Equipment (X5):||€175|
|Boat + Bottle + Air + Complete Equipment (X5):||€200|
|Boat + Bottle + Air + Heavy Equipment (X10):||€340|
5. Buceo Aqualia The Aqualia Dive Center has been operating in La Herradura since 2009 and is located right next to the marina on Playa Berengueles. Because they have all the necessary equipment on the beach most dives can be done directly from the beach without the need for a boat.
They offer Baptism and 6 PADI courses for all skill levels.
Address: C/ Gonzalo Barbero, 1, La Herradura, Granada
Phone: +34 628 903 777
|Bottle + Air:||€28|
|Bottle + Air + Heavy Equipment:||€33|
|Bottle + Air + Complete Equipment:||€38|
|Boat + Bottle + Air:||€33|
|Boat + Bottle + Air + Heavy Equipment:||€39|
|Boat + Bottle + Air + Complete Equipment:||€47|
6. Buceo Marina Recreational and professional courses are on the menu here. Buceo Marina is located at the entrance to La Herradura on the way down to the beach. The center has a heated swimming pool (for contained dives), a boat for 12 divers, a mini-bus, and a dive shop.
Dives are done directly from their boat the "Mola Mola" which is moored in Marina del Este and breakfast is served on the boat between immersions. Four dive times are available per day, 9.00, 11:00, 16:00, and 18:00.
Address: Paseo Andrés Segovia Nº 7 – Local 5 La Herradura 18697 Granada
Phone: +34 958640856 / 663387778
|Dive From the Beach:||€25|
7. Buceo Natura Located at the western end of La Herradura close to the Maro-Cerro Gordo Natural Park is the Buceo Natura Dive Center. Buceo Natura's goal is to "promote sport diving and its practice in harmony with the environment". Therefore they offer personalized diving opportunities with smaller groups and flexible scheduling.
Most of their dives are in La Herradura, Punta de la Mona, and the cliffs around Cerro Gordo.
Address: Paseo Andrés Segovia 67, 18697 La Herradura, Granada - Spain
Phone: +34 958 827 419
|Boat + Bottle||€33|
|Boat + Bottle + Air + Heavy Equipment:||€44|
|Boat + Bottle + Air + Complete Equipment:||€50|
|Boat + Bottle + Air + Heavy Equipment (X5):||€209|
|Boat + Bottle + Air + Complete Equipment (X5):||€237|
|Boat + Bottle + Air + Heavy Equipment (X10):||€396|
|Boat + Bottle + Air + Complete Equipment (X10):||€450|
8. The Nerja Dive Resort A family runned, Five star PADI dive center in Nerja just on the front of Playa Burriana Beach. They offer PADI courses from beginner to profesional levels, Discover Scuba programs, snorkelling, and boat trips
Most of their dives are east of Playa Burriana in La Herradura, Punta de la Mona, and the Maro-Cerro Gordo Natural Park.
Address: Playa Burriana, Edificio Sitio de Burriana Fase 2, Local 4. 29780 Nerja, Malaga, Costa Del Sol, Spain
Address 2: Av. Marina del Este, s/n, 18697 La Herradura, Granada
Phone: +34 952 528 610
Mobile: +34 651 893 917
Price List: https://nerjadiving.com/precios/