- It is amazing to think about the number of people and lives that have been affected by this area
throughout time. We live in the 21st Century, but life in this area dates back to at least 1 million
years ago, our lives represent merely a grain in the overall sands of time.
- Almuñécar was first settled by the early Phoenicians during the late Bronze Age, around 1500 BC.
With their arrival, Phoenician Almuñécar, or "Sexi" as they called it, was put on the map for the first time...
- In 6th century BC the Phoenicians started to be pushed out of the Iberian Peninsula and back into North Africa by the
Carthaginians, a former Phoenician colony. Cadiz became the Carthaginians main settlement in Spain. These
people soon came into direct conflict with the next major Mediterranean power, Rome...
- Seven hundred years of Moorish influence left an unmistakable mark on Spain, making it markedly different even
today from the rest of Western Europe. The Moors not only brought their religion, but also their music, their art,
their view of life, and their architecture...
- The Reconquista (or Reconquest) was the period in history of the Iberian Peninsula of about 780 years between the time of the Umayyad conquest of Hispania in 711 and the fall of the Nasrid kingdom of Granada to the expanding Christian kingdoms in 1492...