Playa de las Alberquillas
** Playa de las Alberquillas, Maro Spain
Moving down the coast we arrive at our next destination, 'Playa de las Alberquillas'. This Maro beach is a continuation of the previous one, 'Playa del Molino de Papel'. It's easily accessed by passing by the remains of the ancient watchtower, 'Torre de la Miel', that sits at the water's edge.
This section of beach is stunningly gorgeous and often less crowded than the others, even in summer, due to the extra effort to get there.
Contents on This Page
You can also access this beach from the top by narrow paths that descend between the cliffs covered by wild rosemary and thyme. These rocky cliffs create an impressive sea entrance and make this place an almost impregnable fortress... perfect for nude sunbathers.
With a length of 400 meters, this sand and pebble beach enjoys crystalline waters and is yet another inviting place to practice snorkeling as the marine life is protected due to its status as a nature reserve.
** Views of Playa de las Alberquillas - Maro, Spain
Why Visit Playa de las Alberquillas?Visit Playa de las Alberquillas if you want to be immersed in nature, avoid the crowds, and don't mind putting in a little extra effort to get there.
How to Arrive ➜ Playa de las AlberquillasFrom Granada - Drive south on A-44. Take exit 183 to merge onto E-15 / A-7 towards Salobreña / Málaga. Take exit 305 towards N-340 / La Herradura.
➜ Continue to the roundabout and take the N-340 towards Maro, go through the tunnel. Drive for about 5-minutes until you pass Calas del Pino at marker #300, Playa de las Alberquillas will be the next beach on the left at marker #299. Drive slowly as the entrance is easy to miss.
From Malaga - Follow A-7 going east. Take exit 295 (Nerja) from A-7.
➜ Continue to the roundabout and take the N-340 towards Almeria to Maro. At the Nerja Caves roundabout take the second exit to pass Maro. Continue on the N-340 for about 5-minutes until just after Playa del Molino de Papel and marker #299.
From Nerja - Drive along Carretera de Almería / N-340 going east towards Almeria. Then follow directions above.
Parking & How to Access Playa de las AlberquillasTo access this Maro beach follow the N-340 until you reach signpost #299. There are several parking areas on the cliffs overlooking the sea and beaches. Playa de las Alberquillas is split by a rocky point that juts out into the sea and both sides have trails leading down to the beach. The trails will take you about 5-10 minutes to reach the bottom and they are not too steep.
** Playa de las Alberquillas - Crystal Clear Water & Mirador
Facilities on Playa de las Alberquillas:Due to its location and access, this beach does not have any services. However, parking is available. Bring food and drinks, as well as an umbrella.
There is a small mirador (lookout) at the top of the cliffs where you can stop to take photos of the beautiful views of Playa de las Alberquillas and the crystal-clear waters of the Mediterranean Sea below.
Beach Info ➜ Playa de las Alberquillas
|Type:||Isolated Natural Beach|
|Level of occupancy:||Low|
|Sand Type:||Fine Sand & Small Pebbles|
|Access||N-340 Highway & Rocky Trail|
|Ease of Access||Moderate|
Other Beaches in the Maro Reserve:
- Playa de Maro
- Cala de Maro
- Playa la Caleta de Maro
- Playa del Molino de Papel
- Calas del Pino
- Playa el Cañuelo
- Playa Cantarriján
Where to Stay Near Playa de las AlberquillasIf you want to experience the beauty of the Maro / Cerro Gordo coastline there are several areas where you can stay. All offering a little something different. Here is what we recommend.
- Nerja (8 km) - A famous white village with tons of restaurants, shops, and nightlife. You will find a large assortment of hotels and villas here.
- Frigiliana (9 km) - Chosen as one of the prettiest villages of Spain this mountain village is just a 12-minute drive from Nerja and Playa de Maro. The Hotel Villa Frigiliana is the nicest hotel.
- La Herradura (7 km) - A picturesque fishing village to the east of the nature reserve on the opposite side of Playa Cantarriján. It has a gorgeous bay with seaside chiringuitos and a marina. Here is nice selection of hotels and villas.
- Almuñecar (14 km) - Another popular holiday destination just 20-minutes from Nerja with a waterpark, aquarium, bird park, and a castle! Best hotels and villas in Almuñecar.
- Maro (1.7 km) - This tiny village is the closest to the Maro beaches but has far less accommodation. If you would like to stay here try these options.
- If you haven't found anything yet, you can also try VRBO.com, they have a ton of great villas and apartments near Playa de las Alberquillas, like this one!
** Coastline Near Playa de las Alberquillas - Maro, Spain
Kayaking & Scuba Tours from Playa de las Alberquillas?There are no kayak rentals or scuba excursions from Playa de las Alberquillas but if you're interested in joining an excursion while visiting the area read: kayaking in Nerja. There are excursions that leave daily from both Nerja and La Herradura that pass by this beach. They visit the caves, hidden coves, and waterfalls of the Nature Reserve.
Scuba diving is also a popular activity in the reserve as Maro is one of the top diving destinations in Spain. Most of the diving companies are located in La Herradura or Nerja. Read: Scuba Diving in La Herradura / Maro.
Restaurants ➜ Playa de las AlberquillasThere are currently no restaurants on Playa de las Alberquillas. If you are in the area and looking for a good place to eat, we suggest:
** Trail to Playa de las Alberquillas
Playa de las Alberquillas ➜ Map
- Maro ➜ Home
- The Maro Nature Reserve
- Kayaking in the Nature Reserve
- Scuba Diving in the Reserve
- Tours in the Reserve
- Villages Near the Reserve:
- La Herradura