Playa Poniente - Beach
Playa Poniente is... RUSTIC with a LIVELY Atmosphere!...Playa Poniente is not usually as popular with international tourist because it doesn’t have the spectacular views that the other Costa Tropical beaches have. Unfortunately, it sits close to the Motril port and shares some industrial views to the east.
But given that the area is less expensive than Playa Granada to the west, during the summer months you can expect Playa Poniente to be quite busy. Also, because of its lively atmosphere, it attracts people of all persuasions... families, singles and especially the youth.
- Also Read: Costa Tropical Beach Guides:
- Almuñécar Beaches
- La Herradura Beaches
- Salobreña Beaches
- Top 10 Costa Tropical Beaches
6 Things to Know About Playa Poniente in Motril!
1. Playa Poniente - The Facts
- The town of Motril is the Costa Tropical’s largest and most commercial city, the other top tourist towns are Almuñécar, La Herradura and Salobreña.
- Playa Poniente is located just along the coast of Motril between the towns of Salobreña and Calahonda.
- Playa Poniente is the Motril beach most popular with Bohemian types due to the two campgrounds that sit directly across from it.
- Playa Poniente has a fantastic promenade that runs the length of the beach that is great for biking, running or just taking a stroll.
- The Motril Yacht Club is just 2 Km to the east.
What is the Sand like on Playa Poniente?This beach has semi-coarse sand, it is also fairly dark in color.
How Long is Playa Poniente?2,000 meters long and 80 meters wide and it's also lined with chiringuitos and beach bars.
What Facilities are available on Playa Poniente:Beachside restaurants and bars, showers, large parking facilities, lifeguards, golf course (Los Moriscos, 2 km), two large campgrounds, bicycle rental and the Charca de Suarez Wetlands Reserve.
Also, disabled access, public toilets, foot washers, security, umbrellas and sun beds.
Why Visit Playa Poniente?Visit this beach if you are looking for a fun and festive day with many activities that will also help to keep you busy...
Parking on Playa Poniente:If you are planning on spending the day at the Poniente beach get there early. There is an adequate amount of parking, but it fills up quickly during the summer.
There is a large parking area located where Playa Poniente and Playa Granada meet with more than 100 spaces. There are also several dirt parking lots that open during the summer months across the street near the bird reserve. Street parking going towards Playa Granada is also allowed.
How to Arrive:Playa Poniente is the closest beach to Motril’s town center. From Motril, follow signs to the Port. Once at the sea, go west until you arrive at the beach..
2. Playa Poniente - Where to Stay...
The Playa Granada Resort and Spa is THE BEST place to stay in Motril. It's great for adults and has a TON of things for the kids to do too!
Read More about the Playa Granada Resort & Spa here: The Best Motril Hotel Guide
Or, Check Availability Playa Granada Club Resort Hotel and Spa - Motril
Just up the road you will also find:
3. Playa Poniente - Where to Eat...
4. Playa Poniente - The Promenade...
The best thing about Playa Poniente is the promenade that was built in memory of the late Belgian King, Baudouin I. He had a special affection for Motril and especially the coastal areas where he spent many years in his beloved Casa Astrida on Playa Granada.
The Promenade runs the length of the beach and is perfect for running or riding bikes. You can ride all the way from the Motril Port to the end of Playa Granada.
Bikes can be rented from: Campsite Playa de Poniente S.L.
5. Playa Poniente - Where to Play...Playa Poniente, like Playa Granada, enjoys the perfect location, between the sea and the greens...
The Los Moriscos Golf Club is an 18-hole course right on the Mediterranean. There is also a driving range to practice your swing.
6. Playa Poniente - Where to Explore...A wonderful little escape from a day on the sand is to hop on over to the Charca de Suarez Wetlands Reserve. It sits just opposite Playa Granada; the entrance is just down the road from the Playa Poniente parking area...
Rent a boat in the Marina del Este beside Playa Berengueles - Almuñécar
How to Get to Motril and the Costa Tropical
From Granada: Drive south on the A-44 for 45-50 minutes to reach the Motril Beaches.
From Málaga: Head east on the A-7 for 50 minutes to reach the Motril Beaches.
Save money on your next trip with our favorite travel websites!
|Find the Cheapest Hotels:
|The Largest Selection of Villas & Apartments:
|Cheapest, Most Reliable Car Rentals:
|Best Bus & Train Fares:
|Huge Selection of the BEST Tours & Activities
|Discount Tickets to Museums & Attractions
See our Full List of Travel Deals & Site Recommendations Here.
Have a great day on the beach!! ;-)